Monday, June 02, 2008

Burns Infirmary

WE ARE SICK!

Since Saturday night, both Molly and Wyatt have had the stomach flu. Throwing up, diarrhea, high fever, chills. Molly spent most of Sunday between the couch and the toilet. She couldn't even keep down Pedialite! Wyatt spent it on my tummy in just his diaper. It is SO SAD to see a baby get sick. They just don't understand. And they don't even know enough to lean forward or roll over when it is coming out!

I wasn't sure what to feed - or not feed - a baby when they have the stomach flu. My girls never got sick like this when they were this young. So Saturday night I went searching on the Internet with questions. I found a great website that answered all of them. KEEP BREASTFEEDING! I was so happy to find this out. Mainly because it was the only form of nourishment he was even slightly interested in. But also because it brings him so much comfort. The only part I wasn't happy to learn - was that after a breastfeeding baby vomits - you are supposed to limit their milk intake to 3-5 minutes, every 30 minutes, for 8 hours!! Hello!!?? He first got sick around 8PM. That put us on the couch, awake, nursing until 4AM. He slept on and off in just his diaper on my chest all night. He was so hot he was sweating.

Sunday morning I called my parents to come rescue Megan from the germs and the boredom! I am hoping she has managed to steer clear of the germs by spending all day Sunday at Grammie and Papa's. Matt and I spent the whole day on the couch, each with a sicky kid on our laps. This morning both kids still have high fevers and are still getting sick! And now Molly has developed a red rash on her tummy. So off to the pediatrician we go. I am just crossing my fingers I DON'T GET IT!

7 comments:

Jenna Anderson said...

Oh, Erin, I am so sorry that your two babies are sick!! I am sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for speedy recoveries. It's the worst when Mama can't make it go away!! I'm thinking of all of you!!

Erin Burns said...

Seriously - I hate that I can't make it go away. Last night Molly said to me, half crying - "Mom, this is NOT FUN!" So sad!!

Joanna said...

Oh lordy, I know how you feel. It WILL pass, though. They should be at the end of it.

Love said...

awww....hope everyone is turning around and that megan really did escape it! that is the absolute worse part...that look of "mommy, please FIX this!" and we can't.

=(

a prayer from indiana right now. =)

Aubs said...

Oh Erin....i'll be praying that they will both be on the mend soon and that the rest of the house can stay healthy! Tummy bugs are one of the worst things...there just really isn't much at all to do for them....=( Hang in there!

Libby said...

Get well soon. You know, Mackenna was just giving me a hard time this weekend for not updating my blog enough lately. She said, "Erin does, and she's got THREE kids!" Yeah, yeah, and she even does it with TWO sick ones! Seriously a super mom!!

Erin Burns said...

Sorry Lib! I don't mean to get anyone in trouble :)

I am a little obsessive about the blog. It is definitely my "outlet!"

If it makes you feel any better - my couch is piled high with laundry, the breakfast dishes are still in the sink, and I stayed in my sweats all day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...