Thursday, February 04, 2010

Magnificent Mathematician


Every Friday morning at Megan's school the whole student body meets on the blacktop for Flag Deck. Announcements are made, stand out students are honored, songs sang, the Flag pledged allegiance. Last Friday, Megan was honored to be recognized as a Magnificent Mathematician in Dr. Hernandez's class. 

Matt and I knew ahead of time that she would be getting the award, but Megan did not! It was a total surprise. Matt got his first period covered and met me there - but had left the house just like it was any other morning acting like he was going to his classroom. When we were parking and walking in, Megan saw Matt's car and said to me "Mom, isn't that Daddy's truck?" Not wanting her to guess why Daddy would be at her school that morning, I tried to throw her off and replied "No, it's just a truck that looks like Daddy's." To my chagrin, my super smart 6 year old told me "No Mom, that's my Dad's truck...see the surfboard thing on the back? And it has the same tires as my Dad's." So I decided the best thing to do was ignore her, start walking faster, and holler behind me "Hurry! I think we are late!" 





Megan found her place with her class and I found Matt. When the announced her name and the whole school cheered, Megan beamed from ear to ear. Being a classic first born - this one THRIVES on praise and recognition of a job well done. I was SO happy (to tears) for her to be honored. I know it meant the world to her and gave her drive to keep doing her best. Yes - there were tears. I can't help myself when I look at her - awesome, sweet and succeeding - and remember back when she was just an itty bitty. SIGH.

5 comments:

Polka Dot Moon said...

YAY for Megan!! I love Math :)

How sweet for your hubby to surprise her too. Love the picture of the two of them!

Elyse said...

Go Megan Go!!!! What a little sweetheart she is! You guys are great parents :)

Margot said...

Congrats to Megan. Encouraging little girls in math is SO important!! I was not encouraged and have suffered for it. Glad Megan will be a well rounded young woman with some math skills. :)

Heather @ Glitter and Gloss said...

Congratulations, Megan!!! She is such a doll, Erin! You guys must be so proud!

mrsmaize said...

Aww, that brought tears to my eyes too! Congrats Megan!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...