Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vegan Brownies


I found this recipe when I took dinner to one of my girlfriends who had just had a new baby. Her two year old has allergies to all dairy and eggs, so she was being extra careful to eliminate these things from her diet when nursing, in case son #2 had allergies too! I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but the Brownies turned out delicious! To be truely VEGAN (no animal product whatsoever), you must use beet sugar, since animal bone char is used in the bleaching process of some cane sugars. But since my girlfriend was just trying to avoid dairy and eggs, I went ahead and used the white cane sugar I had on hand.

This recipe makes 12 brownies in an 8X8 pan. If you want more - double the recipe and use a 9X13 pan instead.

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
6 TBS cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
2 TBS vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl
Add wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Pour batter into an 8X8 pan greased with a little vegetable oil.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Let cool completely in the pan, then cut into squares.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...