Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips

I get a huge bunch of Kale in our CSA box almost every week. Sometimes two! And while I'd like to think I do a pretty good job of incorporating it into salads, smoothies, and breakfast hashes....there still always seems to be some of it left OVER!!! My neighbor and girlfriend, Allison, (really she is my saving grace in so many ways!) recently told me she makes Kale Chips and her kids love them!

But I didn't believe her.
And you don't either, huh?
I mean, come on...
For reals?!
KIDS....
LOVE THEM?!!

We're talking
K.A.L.E.
chips.
But, then that got me thinking...about CHIPS.
I can't say no to Salt & Vinegar potato chips.
They are one of my favorite cravings/indulgences.
And Nacho Cheese?!
To my kids, Nacho = Manna from Heaven.

So...could I make Salt & Vinegar KALE chips?
Or even better yet, Kale ala Nacho Cheese?
Was there such a thing as Heaven (chips) on Earth?!!

I decided to find out. 

To my surprise (and health!) Both recipes turned out really good.
I ate almost the whole salty vinegary plate in one sitting.
The cheesy ones I left for the kiddos.
They were gone twice as fast!

One note - watch them carefully at the end!!
Both recipes go from "crisp and tasty" to "TOO baked and icky, burnt YUCK" really quick!
Under cook if you are questioning.
They are a little more chewy undercooked.
But still tasty.
Burnt - they are a no go.
Kids look at you like you are feeding them coal.
or raw leather.
or a combination of the two.
No good.
So.....
Take them out a minute too soon!
Then eat 'em up.
And love your thighs.
Hi Bikini.
June, July, August.
HI!

Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips
1 bunch kale
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 tsp kosher salt, to taste

Preheat an oven to 300 degrees.
Cut away inner ribs from each kale leaf and discard; tear the leaves into pieces of uniform size.
(I made my pieces about the size of a small potato chip.)
Wash torn kale pieces and pat dry with paper towels.
Put the kale pieces into a large resealable bag with the olive oil.
Seal and squeeze the bag so the oil gets distributed evenly on the kale pieces.
Sprinkle the vinegar over the kale leaves, reseal the bag, and shake to spread the vinegar evenly over the leaves.
Spread the leaves onto a baking sheet.
Sprinkle evenly with kosher salt.
Roast in the preheated oven until mostly crisp (mine took about 20 minutes)
I also turned the leaves over about half way through.
ENJOY!

and...click for
Nacho Cheese Kale Chips

1 comment:

Krulls in Haiti said...

I can't wait to try this! I od'd on Kale a few months back and couldn't stomach it for a while. This is just the change up I need to go back! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...