Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Updates

It is so hard to blog these days. Our computer is on the tiniest counter in the hallway. One I have to stand at to use. Lord, grant me a Laptop!!

But I must fill you in on some developments many of you have been asking about!

First - Janene Johns was sentenced to 6 years for the death of Candace. The sentencing was hard and emotional to be at, but I am glad I went. I feel it offered Candace's husband and family some peace and closure as they were able to speak to Johns for the first time since the accident. As well, there was home video played of Candace interacting with Wade and playing with Owen. It felt good to hear her voice. Especially her boisterous laugh - when she was making fun of Wade. That sound made me laugh out loud and brought tears to my eyes all at the same time

I went that morning, ready to forgive. Ready to see Johns with compassionate and understanding eyes. Ready to receive her words with an open heart and open to moving on. But I left disappointed. While she did apologize for Candace's death, she never owned her responsibility in it. She depersonalized the event - calling Candace's death a "hole she ripped in the fabric of the universe." And even went so far as to say she "did not act willfully or irresponsibly" the day of the accident. This really bothered me. It left me feeling that she was not a good person who made a horrible mistake, but rather an ugly, selfish one who is still blaming everything but herself. I wonder if years in jail with nothing but her thoughts will change anything for her? You can watch what was on the local news that night by clicking here.

Second - preliminary results of Mom's tests last week came back "good." While that still leaves a lot of questions unanswered - that's all the update she has been given over the phone from a nurse. She has an appt. with her oncologist at the end of the week. Hopefully he will explain in detail what "good" means, and begin treatment.

Third - Megan and I leave for Chicago on Saturday. She is over the moon EXCITED! So I am busy doing laundry, packing, and getting everything around here ready for me to be gone for 4 days. I am sure all will go on just fine without me and my lists... but I like to obsess anyway! I hope to answer the rest of the Hot Seat questions before I leave. Thanks to everyone who has been checking in on me!

1 comment:

Love said...

hey erin! thanks for all the updates. these things remain in my prayer journal...i think of you all the time because of that! =)

we should meet up when you're in chicago one of these times. we're only 40 minutes away! enjoy your trip! =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...