Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Surfs Up!

Our "Little Kahuna" is turning ONE
Join us for some Birthday Fun!


Sunday night we had family over for Wyatt's First Birthday. I ran with a Hawaiian theme and was so excited when my Mom found this bolt of red and blue Hibiscus print hiding out in her garage! We made table cloths and napkins out of it. 

Here's our crew: Papa Don, GG, Papa Tim, Uncle Bill, Grammie Susan, Daddy, Uncle Charlie, Alyssa, Megan, Aunt Adrie, Uncle Andy, Uncle TJ, Mommy, Wyatt, Molly, Grandma Janis & Erin. Whew! And there's still some members missing...Hence why I thought "just family" was enough for Wyatt's first birthday. 

Here we are being classy.


Here we are being crazy! Love Megan and Molly in this one. 


I made teriyaki chicken, coconut and mango rice, salad, coconut covered bananas, and pineapple for dinner. We washed everything down with Pina Coladas and Longboard Beer. 


Wyatt was a little overwhelmed at first, but once we got to the cake and ice cream - he was in his element! For his "Surfer Cake" I made a pineapple pound cake with coconut creme filling and coconut buttercream frosting. It was SO yummy! I carved the wave out of styrofoam and then frosted it. The sand is ground up Nilla wafers mixed with brown sugar.


We had been practicing singing "Happy Birthday" to him for about a week. So he was very excited when it started and clapped his hands the whole time. But when it was over, he just stared at the cake. So his sisters happily helped him blow out his candle! I let him have at the WHOLE CAKE for a little bit - but he didn't quite know what to make of it. He was more interested in the plastic surfboards. 


In the end he managed to eat his fair share and stopped long enough to give Mommy this cute cake face shot.


He hasn't stopped playing with the Little Tools Workbench from Grammie and Papa since it came out of the box! Anytime one of the girls tries to play with it, he screams, grabs the tool back and waves them away. I've been spoiling him and letting him have it all to himself these past few days. I figure he's had to share everything pink and princess for a whole year...it wont hurt him to have a few glorious solo days with his new boy toys!


At the end of the night, Wyatt gave all of us a gift. He took his first steps! About 6 of them in the living room. We all burst into claps and cheers and he was SO PROUD of himself! He keeps trying everyday and is getting more and more sure of himself. I told the girls, "Watch Out! In about 2 weeks he'll be chasing you around the house and then all bets are off!" I will try and get some video of his steps soon. It's too cute. 

We went for his 1 year check up and Wyatt weighs  24lbs 6 oz and is 30 1/2 inches tall. 75th percentile all around. 

5 comments:

Tonya said...

YOU are amazing! I love to see talents like yours being poured into your little ones...that dinner menu and the cake...awesome!

xoxo

Tonya

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering just looking at the pictures. Wish I could of been there! Fantastic job Erin!

Unknown said...

wow, Erin, you amaze me!!! What a fantastic 1st bday for Wyatt!!! Looks like a lot of love was in the air!

LauraC said...

Seriously, I think you win motherhood with this post. OH MMUYYYYYYYYY GOOOOSSSSHHHH!!!! Can you come plan a party for me and my boys? Freaking AWESOME!

Joanna said...

Happy birthday, little one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...