Friday, October 03, 2008

Flower Power

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
- Leo F. Buscaglia

One of my Mom's girlfriends, Karen, sent out an email earlier this week letting friends and family know that Thursday was my Mom's birthday. Karen said she would be putting a vase and a box on my mom's front porch early in the morning - and if they wanted, for people to stop by with ONE flower and a birthday wish for Susan.

I forwarded the email on to some others, and let them know that if they couldn't get to my Mom's house on Thursday, but still wanted to send her a birthday wish, to email me their thoughts and I would attach them to a flower and add it to the vase.

Since this is the week following her chemo, Mom is physically pretty low. Tired, sick, dehydrated, and fighting off every little germ. But by the end of her Birthday - these had certainly worked their magic!

So many people came by the house, she needed 5 vases to hold all the individual flowers!
And so many people emailed me their wishes, I had to go back to the flower shop for more buds!
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to everyone who took time out of their day to honor my Mother. The floral manifestation of your love is truly awesome! And to Karen, who started this ball rolling. What a special friend you are.

I made White Chicken Enchiladas, Spanish Rice, Pinto Beans and a Carrot Cake and took it all over to my parent's house for dinner. The girls, of course, had to help Grammie blow out her candles for the celebration to be complete!
Love you Momma...and apparently, I am not the only one! I know you are embarrassed by all this attention - but you deserve it. And I know you would be the first to do the same for any of your friends. I am so glad you had a Happy Day!

2 comments:

Aubs said...

What a wonderful idea......and what a blessing for your Mom! So happy that you were able to celebrate with her....i have no doubt that each and every person who knows her is blessed by her. I am blessed by her strength and i don't even "know" her.

Love said...

= )

and, by the way, i'm so proud of your blogging erin. you're doing the special blessing that you got in the mail proud!! = )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...