Sunday, January 02, 2011

Warm Nutty Cinnamon Quinoa


This a recipe I've adapted from one I found in Bon Appetit. Trader Joe's was out of the white quinoa, so I bought the red. I think it made a beautiful bowl and didn't change the flavor. Bon Appetit called for regular milk, but I'm a bit obsessed with vanilla almond milk right now, so I substituted. I loved the subtle flavor it added to the cinnamon. I have to admit, I'm not a "hot cereal" lover, and I was surprised how much I liked this!

Warm & Nutty Cinnamon Quinoa
serves 2
~ 220 calories per serving

1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup organic quinoa, rinsed
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
2 teaspoons honey
Combine almond milk, water and quinoa in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Turn off heat; let stand covered 5 minutes.
Stir in blueberries and cinnamon
Transfer to bowls and top with pecans.
Drizzle 1 teaspoon honey over each serving.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...