Sunday, May 01, 2011

Steak Salad with Goat Cheese

People often ask me if my kids eat these kind of things that I post.
"Steak salad with goat cheese."
And my answer is kinda. We all eat the same ingredients...but I present them differently for the kids.

For the recipe below, Matt and I eat it all tossed together as a salad. The kids eat it as meat, green beans, and a 1/3 baked potato...with some lettuce on the side with caesar dressing. They all LOVE caesar dressing!
It works for us.

Ingredients
Dressing
2 Tablespoons whole grain, Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
2 Tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste

Salad - I use whatever lettuce comes in our CSA box that week. Any kind you like will do!
1 head red leaf lettuce
1 head butter lettuce
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
2 potatoes, baked and diced
1 skirt steak, about 16 ounces, grilled and cut crosswise into pieces
4 ounces goat cheese (I use Trader Joe's crumbled)

Directions
In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
Heat broiler.
Line a baking sheet with foil and top with a cookie cooling rack (a trick from my sister!)
Spray cooling rack with PAM and place steaks on top. Season with kosher salt and pepper and broil for about 6 minutes for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice crosswise.

Meanwhile, blanch green beans, and dice tomatoes, onions and potatoes.

In a large bowl, combine dressing, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, and onion.
Top with steak and crumbled goat cheese.
Plate and ENJOY!

{pics coming tomorrow night after dinner!}

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...