Monday, December 19, 2011

Roasted Ranchero Sauce



Huevos Rancheros is a Gregg family (my maiden name) tradional meal. We eat it every Christmas morning. It's something we ALL look forward to! I used to tease that it was how my Mom kept us all coming home for the holidays. Since we moved into this house, however, we have hosted Christmas morning (more room!) which means I make the Huevos. Last year I decided to try an recreate the roasted tomato Ranchero sauce we used to make at the restaurant. Here's the recipe I came up with. (And the sauce turned out better than ever...if I do say so myself!)

Roasted Ranchero Sauce

1 onion, peeled and quartered
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 jalapenos (I leave the seeds in, but take them out if you don't want your sauce too SPICY!)
10 tomatoes, cut in half
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp ground oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin

Put onion, garlic, jalapenos and tomatoes in a large glass baking dish and drizzle with olive oil.
Season with kosher salt.

Roast in a 400 degree oven for about and hour.

Remove from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
Transfer roasted ingredients to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.

Add oregano and ground cumin and pulse again.
Season with more salt to taste.

Use it for Huevos Rancheros or to top grilled chicken or fish.
(I've also been known to add it to our Breakfast Burritos...yum!)
ENJOY!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...